Monday, July 12, 2010

Oh Seattle, You're Working Against Me

You know, I'm actually really interested in keeping Betty and Sally alive.  I've been thinking about gardening for the past six months, give or take, but I always chalk up my lack of participation to "oh my apartment doesn't get good sunlight," or "it costs way too much to start a garden." 

With my cheap purchase of tomato plants yesterday, I thought this was my chance to get a jump start on gardening.  I know I'm really late to the game this year but I figure everything I learn about keeping plants alive will help for the years to come.

One thing I've learned in the last 24 hours is that tomato plants thrive in warm, sunny locations.  OK, both of those adjectives do not describe Seattle in the slightest.  Anyone from Seattle who just saw that first sentence silently chuckled to themselves.  But hey, the weather in our area was in the mid-80s to low 90s all last week so I thought that maybe I *might* have a chance.

Yeah, that chance lasted only a few hours when around 10pm last night it turned cloudy and started raining.  Ten hours later the rain has let up a bit but the clouds are looking like they might be here to stay.  Oy.



Now I'm looking into the best way to grow tomato plants indoors and it might not be as complicated as it seems.  There's a possibility I have almost everything I need to bring in my lovelies from out in the cold but I'll have to keep you updated on that.

Betty and Sally had no idea what they were getting themselves into when they met me.

No comments: